It’s finally that time of year when people start to fix up their yards and spend their spare time outside. The grill comes out, the patio furniture emerges, and the neighbors stop by. Which means it’s also time to get creative and find some fun things to do out there in the backyard. Here’s a collection of our favorite outdoor games that are fun and easy to put together.
DIY Giant Jenga Set Tutorials
1. Make a giant Jenga set – check out the tutorial over on Instructables.
2. Here’s a different take – A large version of Jenga with 2 x 4s, in multiple hues. Check out the instructions here.
3. This Giant Jenga via A Beautiful Mess is a little more colorful than most.
DIY Cornhole and Bean Bag Toss
5. Cornhole is classic backyard game; check out the instructions for creating these boards here.
6. How cute is the design on this DIY cornhole game?
7. Rawr! This DIY monster bean bag toss won’t scare away your guests.
8. A bright and bold bean bag toss with matching bean bags!
9. Have you ever played cornhole? It’s a great way to pass the time, and it can be really competitive!
Over-Sized Scrabble and Word Games
10. Create your own game of Scrabble right on your patio – find the instructions here.
11. Have you noticed a big trend here? Giant Scrabble is another fun option. Head over here to see more photos.
12. No patio? No problem. Bring Scrabble into the lawn.
Ring Toss DIY Outdoor Games
13. Make this colorful ring toss game with supplies you probably already have laying around the house.
14. The ring and hook game can be found at lots of vacation destinations around the Northeast… why not set one up in your own backyard? Here are the instructions.
15. Here’s a different type of ring toss game – get the simple tutorial here.
16. Or try this more fun version of a simple ring toss game. Just add flamingos! Learn more here.
17. Try this carnival classic game in your own backyard.
18. They’re not rings per se, but you do toss them! How pretty is this pastel horseshoe set?
Fun DIY Lawn Games For Summer Parties
19. Make your own one-of-a-kind croquet set and play all summer long.
20. Love bocce ball? Make your own court using these instructions.
21. Go bowling in your backyard with this fun DIY bottle bowling setup. Head over here to check out the how-to.
22. Have a little fun with these giant blue dominos! Head over here to check out the tutorial.
23. Set up a game of Twister right on your lawn… just like this one here.
24. Or learn how to hand- make your own Twister mat.
Make the Ultimate Backyard Kuub Set
25. Don’t know what Kuub is? People call it Viking chess, and although it can be a little confusing to learn, it’s incredibly fun and addictive once you get going. Here’s a great tutorial on making your own Kuub set.
DIY Outdoor Games and Activities
26. Plinko is always a fun one… all you’ll need is wood, nails and paint. Check out this and lots of other ideas right here.
27. Tic-Tac-Toe is another easy and fun game to make for the kids. Get the tutorial for this one here.
28. Backyard Ker-Plunk will keep everyone busy for hours. Find out how to assemble it here.
30. If you’ve never played Left Right Center, you’ll definitely want to give this giant DIY version a try.
31. If you’re a big Yahtzee fan, then you’ll love this giant DIY version.
32. Remember the game Memory from childhood? (See what I did there?) Make your own backyard version using this tutorial.
More Entertaining DIY Outdoor Games
33. Painted dowels transform into an oversized pickup sticks game.
34. Or how about an old-fashioned sack race?
35. Kids can try this fun version of Tug-of-War with ‘stumps.’
37. Or make an inexpensive PVC version here.
38. Have fun with a round of balloon darts.
Make the most of the warm weather and get outdoors! We hope you’ve enjoyed this round-up of DIY Outdoor Games and Activities that are designed to appeal to both kids and adults alike. Enjoy the family fun!